Q. How do I provide one (or more) student extra time on a Blackboard timed exam?
For a timed test in Blackboard, I would like to make it so one of my students can have extra time to complete the test.
After creating a test and adding it to your course, Blackboard allows you to make an exception to that test, specifically, to allow one student to have additional time:
- Find the test that you want to edit in your course via Course Tools > Tests, Surveys, and Pools > Tests
- Select the gray drop down arrow next to the test name and click Edit
- Select Modify Options
- Under test options, scroll down to Test Availability Exceptions, and select “Add User or Group”
Here, you can add a user (a student) to make an exception to the normal rules of the test, such as the amount of time this student needs to take the test.
- Browse from the window to check off the desired student for additional time. You will see the student user account appear in the test availability exceptions menu.
- Next to the student's name, check the box under the “Timer,” and type the total number of minutes that this student will require for the test (see right box in red).
- Click Submit.
Should a student's accommodations require that s/he need to take the test more than once, you can modify Attempts to Multiple Attempts, and provide the number of attempts that the student requires.
For more information, please view Blackboard's additional documentation on utilizing different test options.